Beech Class 2018/19
Teacher: Mrs H Wright
Teaching Assistants: Miss L Bundy, Miss K Rose and Mrs M Charles
Welcome to our class page! We hope you enjoy scrolling down to look at all our photos.
We are joined this term by Miss Thomas and we will be travelling through time to learn more about the seashore as well as the Stone age through to the Iron age in more detail. We will be exploring the life and times of Grace Darling as well as discovering more about light/shadows, rocks/soils and magnets/forces in our Science lessons over the course of the school year.
Trips include: A cooking lesson at Newent School, Y3 visit to the Holst Museum in Cheltenham and a whole school trip to the beach in Summer.
Mrs H Wright
Travelling through Time
February 2019- July 2019
Latest news from Beech class...
We like using iPads to research and support our learning in other subjects. We have just started coding using Scratch.
Our Science Highlights
The visit from a polar explorer was fantastic - it sparked our imagination for writing too!
We have enjoyed learning about the human body, nutrition, bones and muscles with Miss Thomas.
Our investigation about water transportation in plants was fun. It tested our maths skills and we found the results really interesting.
September 2018 - February 2019
We enjoyed creating our collages depicting the Great Fire of London. We also wrote diary entries just like Samuel Pepys did. It must have been very scary!
We have been very lucky to learn new stitches with Mrs Bishop in our Art and Design Technology lessons.
Cross curricular Food Technology:
Y3 children have made links with their English Story Writing Unit 'Pumpkin Soup' by Helen Cooper in order to learn about Food in DT. In Maths lessons, the children also looked at statistics and data handling for deciding popular soup flavours. On Friday 16th November, the children had a great time with Mrs Ball and Mrs Gilmore who helped them to learn more about how to be hygienic in the kitchen, how to cut food safely and how to weigh/measure quantities of ingredients accurately. The children did a marvellous job, looking at the features of clear instructions and they discussed where food is grown as well as seasonality of produce.
Their Soup tasted delicious!
We explored bullying and strategies to stop it from happening. We are pleased that we have such happy, helpful, kind and friendly people in our class.
Forest Adventures 2018
We used our forest adventures to inspire our DT lessons to design and make the classroom banner based on Beech leaves. We did rubbings and prints before embarking on our sewing project.
- We use a range of resources to help us with our calculations.
- We enjoyed making 3D shapes with nets and measuring length with rulers.
- Telling time has been quite tricky but we getting there!
- We are keen to master our times tables ready for next year!
- We like story mapping and drama to learn texts.
- Well done Ryan, Ben, Henry and George for being selected as winners in the National Young Writer's Poetry Competition!
- Our unit about Non-chronological reports was fun - we chose to whether to write about real or imaginary birds. As part of our 'gathering ideas' section we wrote to Slimbridge. We were delighted when we received a letter back from them explaining about rare and endangered ducks!
- We are working on editing and revising skills to improve our own spellings and writing coherence.
- We take part in regular reading challenges and discuss our favourite and least favourite stories.